Benefits of Mineral Makeup
Mineral makeup has been around for a few decades but these days with more women looking for natural products it’s becoming even more popular.
Dermatologists & Beauty Therapists recommend mineral makeup because it’s free of chemicals and additives which can cause skin irritation.
Mineral makeup products are now available at reasonable prices, but do they really help your skin ?
What is it ?
It is not like traditional makeup as it is made up of natural minerals that come directly from the earth such as iron oxides, talc, zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. They are crushed, ground and milled into very tiny particles to create mineral makeup.
Traditional make up normally contains preservatives, such as parabens, chemical dyes and fragrances, whereas mineral makeup leaves all of these out.
When blended into the skin, these bring out the natural beauty creating a light yet flawless cover and a natural glow to the skin. The makeup also nourishes the skin and provides a natural sunscreen for protection.
Mostly it is based on purified minerals and contains ingredients which are found naturally and are not synthetic or artificial.
Mineral makeup contains:
- Iron oxides – used for the colour to match your skin type.
- Mica – adds shimmer, glow, and radiance to natural foundations and concealers.
- Titanium dioxide – acts as a natural white pigment and sunscreen.
- Zinc oxides – to add another layer of UV protection to pure cosmetics.
Mineral makeup is perfect for providing a natural, smooth and even coverage without clogging pores. The results are a positively flawless face, providing the complexion with a radiance and natural beauty to the skin.
- Hypo-allergenic and suitable for all skin types (including dry skin).
- Preservative free.
- Oil free.
- Fragrance free.
- Free from talc or nylon, which is a common irritant to sensitive skin.
- Non comedogenic (does not clog pores).
- The fine pure pigments blend easily on the skin and provide a natural, flawless sheer cover.
- Gives the skin a lovely glow, producing a healthy, youthful appearance.
- Naturally protects the skin from the sun (mineral makeup contains minerals such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide which is a natural sunscreen).
- Mineral makeup uses a mineral called zinc oxide, which is an antibacterial filter as opposed to organic forms or cosmetics, which means unlike traditional makeup, mineral makeup does not breed bacteria so is therefore great for skins prone to infection.
It is often recommended for sensitive and problem skin as it is soothing on the skin and free of irritants. In particular, it is great for skin conditions such as rosacea and acne prone skin or post treatment such as waxing and laser as well as resurfacing treatments such as microdermabrasion.
100% (Pure) Mineral Makeup vs Mineral based Makeup
Mineral makeup comes in 2 forms. Users should be aware of the differences between the 2 especially when skin sensitivity is their key concern:
“Pure Mineral” – A 100% pure mineral makeup will always be a loose powder such as powder foundation, blusher, bronzer or eye shadow. There should not be any talc or other artificial ingredients added as these can lead to sensitivity in some users.
“Mineral Based” – Any lipsticks, liquid foundations etc… will not be 100% mineral as they will have had non mineral ingredients added to them to bind them together. These are known as “mineral based” makeup and will carry most of the benefits of 100% pure mineral makeup but cannot be called pure mineral makeup due to the added ingredients required to make them liquid or cream. Some users may experience some sensitivity to mineral makeup if using mineral based makeup, which may be due to the added ingredients.
Watch out for preservatives that have been added in to the makeup. If you experience any sensitivity to mineral makeup the odds are the makeup has had other non-mineral ingredients added to it.
Pure mineral makeup is hypoallergenic and suitable for all skin types, including dry skin. With pure mineral makeup, the ingredients are suitable for all skin types including those with sensitive skin, skins prone to allergies or those skins more susceptible to infection.
How to Use Mineral Makeup
Follow these easy steps for a flawless face:
- Sprinkle a small amount of mineral makeup into the lid of the makeup container
- Tap your kabuki brush into the powder invert the brush and tap so that the powder drops deeper into the bristles (this stops the makeup from being applied to heavy).
- Gently apply the makeup onto your face using circular movements. As the makeup is warmed on the skin it blends with your skins natural oils and into the skin.
- Re-apply in the same way until you are happy with the coverage.
- Remember to clean your brushes regularly to ensure that there are kept bacteria free.
Minerals at Studio 8
Studio 8 uses Mii makeup, which is a mineral makeup exclusive to salons and Spas. With a natural SPF 25, the salon team offer the makeup post treatment to clients, especially after waxing, as it is calming and soothing on the skin whilst providing a flawless finish. Great when you are going back to work or straight out after treatments.
The full Mii range is available for wedding and special occasion makeup and is also be part of the new Brow by Mii treatments, which will be available in the salon later in March.
Mii is also available in stock for retail and a full tester stand is available to try the products.
If you would like to know more about mineral makeup, try or purchase Mii Mineral please email or call Studio 8 Beauty to discuss your requirements on email@example.com, 023 92 380 692.