Microneedling – the key to younger looking skin
By Alice Leng – Salon Therapist
Are you tired of your ageing skin, looking dull or uneven ?
A microneedling facial could be just the answer to your skin problems.
What is Microneedling ?
Micro-needling is a dermaroller or derma stamp pen treatment procedure that uses small needles to prick the skin. It kick starts your skin’s healing process and helps your skin produce more collagen and skin tissue for a smoother, firmer, more toned look to your skin.
What are the benefits of Microneedling ?
Micro-needling is an advanced facial and has many benefits that help target and improve:
- Fine lines and wrinkles.
- Sun damage/age spots.
- Hyper pigmentation.
- Age spots.
- Acne scaring.
- Hair loss.
- Large pores.
- Stretch marks.
Microneedling is a minimally invasive procedure that produces fantastic results. It works by rolling small needles over the face and neck area to create controlled punctures, which triggers your skin into its repair stage.
Once your skin enters its repair stage, it will start to produce more natural collagen and skin tissue. Once the collagen has reached the epidermis layer of your skin, it will help to plump out fine lines, winkles and any scaring on the surface.
I absolutely love this treatment for my clients as it leaves their skins looking more radiant and rejuvenated after one facial.
Is there any downtime after Skin Needling ?
There is NO down time after this treatment. You may however experience a few minor side effects such as:
- Redness – for a few days.
- Skin irritation – immediately after the treatment.
- Tight or itchy skin – normally subsides within 12-48 hours.
- Blood spotting – will heal within the hour.
- Mild skin peeling / flaking – within a couple of days.
Can anyone have Skin Needing ?
You will be contraindicated and should not have a microneedling treatment if any of the following apply:
- You are pregnant.
- Have any skin diseases, for example psoriasis or eczema.
- You have open wounds within the treatment area.
- Recently had radiation therapy.
- You have herpes simplex infections.
- Raised moles, warts and raised lesions (Although in most cases the area can be worked around).
Do I need to prepare my skin for Skin Needling treatments ?
Before having a Microneedling treatment:
- Do not use any products containing retin A, retinols, vitamin A and any topical medication for 3-5 days.
- Stay out of the sun / sun beds for 3-5 days.
- Avoid self tanning lotions / sprays 48 hours prior to treatment.
- No waxing, depilatory creams or electrolysis to the area for 5 – 7 days.
What is involved in having a skin needling treatment ?
A Microneedling treatment will involve the skin being cleansed and assessed to determine the correct serum to be used in the treatment.
The serums we can use are:
- Retinol for anti-ageing, deep / fine lines and wrinkles.
- Hyaluronic acid for skin hydration, rejuvenation and firmness.
- Niacinamide for acne/breakouts
- Oligopeptide for pigmentation
… or even a combination of these powerful ingredients.
The chosen serum is placed over the skin. Next, a sterile, disposable dermaroller / derma stamp pen is used and the needles are rolled / stamped over the skin to create thousands of tiny micro-channels. This then allows the serums to reach deeper into the dermis layer of the skin.
Once we have worked over the whole face, we can then concentrate on the areas of concern which will optimise full product penetration.
After the needling procedure has been completed we will then apply a soothing / calming mask to let the skin soothe for 10 minutes and help reduce the skins redness.
A hydrating moisturiser and SPF 50 will be applied to end the treatment and aftercare will be given.
Aftercare following a Microneedling Treatment
The following advice should be adhered to once you have had your treatment:
- No make up for 12 hours following treatment.
- Avoid sun exposure and sweaty exercise for 72 hours after treatment.
- Wear a minimum of SPF 30 for the next couple of days.
What other treatments are available with Microneedling ?
COMCIT crystal clear is another type of micro-needling facial but uses Cryo Oxygen micro-channelling collagen induction therapy. This H2O Glow facial delivers freezing cold oxygen throughout the epidermis to nourish and invigorate skin cells. (also known as a Frozen Facial).
Genosys Dermafix Pen is a digital micro needling treatment that enables an enhanced and focused result for problem areas. This is because it allows the therapist to control the intensity in order to tailor the treatment to your specific needs. A solution is also applied to the skin, which contains hyaluronic acid, minerals, vitamins and peptides. These act by stimulating cell renewal as well as improving the skin contours and elasticity.
LED light therapy
You can optimise your micro-needling facial by adding LED light therapy while the mask is on to give the treatment an extra boost. LED light therapy works in a way where the skin absorbs the light and uses it as a source of energy to stimulate cellular regeneration.
The different lights that can be used are:
- Red – Anti ageing, collagen / elastin boost.
- Blue – Acne / anti inflammatory.
- Green – Hyperpigmentation / pigmentation / calming.
- Yellow – rosacea / redness.
So there you have it, a short overview of Microneedling and the benefits it offers you.
For more information and to book a Microneedling facial please contact the salon on 023 9238 0692 to arrange your consultation with one of our skincare experts.