Need some Ideas for Fathers Day ?
by Lisa Young – Salon Director
It’s that time of year when, just like Mothers Day, Fathers Day is celebrated in the UK (just like other countries) as a day to thank and recognise fathers and father figures make to the lives of their children.
Regardless of whether the children are young or grown up, most make an effort to demonstrate their appreciation for their Dad’s by visiting and spending time with them or by sending gifts and cards.
Don’t forget, this year Fathers Day is on Sunday 21st of June 2015, but where did Fathers day originate from? Well, one view is that it originates from pagan sun worship as the sun is seen as the father of the universe. As the summer solstice occurs around the same time as Fathers it is believed that the two are linked.
What we know as Father’s Day today originated in the United States in 1910. Mothers Day was already a celebrated day and this inspired a day to honour fathers with a day of their own.
The day is not a bank holiday but it’s normally one of the busiest days of the years (alongside Mothers Day) for eating out in pubs and restaurants, as many families celebrate Fathers Day with a meal out.
Popular Fathers Day Gifts
- Handmade cards or gifts – especially for younger children where schools and clubs arrange activities to create cards, drawings and gifts by the children to take home for Fathers Day.
- Personalised or funny gifts such as mugs, T-shirts, mouse mats, chocolate.
- Gift Vouchers.
- Experience Days.
- Books and DVDs.
Things to do on Fathers Day
- Plan a day or weekend out – trips to the seaside or theme parks are really popular as everyone gets to have a great day out having fun.
- Experience Days – Driving Experiences, rally car, airplane or even bungee jumping for the more adventurous and Super Dad’s out there!
- A special meal at home, in a pub, a restaurant or even a BBQ at the local country park.
If you’re stuck for gift ideas for Fathers Day why not give the gift of relaxation. We have lots of lovely relaxing treatments that Dad’s really love. How about one of our monthly offers such as a stress relief massage to give Dad some well-deserved “me time”.
If you would like to buy a surprise treatment or gift card please email the salon on firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone us on 023 9238 0692. A booking button is available on the left hand side of this website if you prefer to book yourself online or for out of hours booking.
Lisa Young – Studio 8 Beauty Salon Director
Thought for the week
“Suns out, get your guns out” 💪