Skin care products – To Layer or Not To Layer ?
Layering skin care products is key to great looking skin but in which order should they be used? Studio 8’s Dermalogica Skincare Experts have pulled together a guide to layering your skin care products alongside some tips and tricks to get great looking skin.
Skin Care Products Order of Application
If you’re not a full skincare junkie just follow the sequence according to what you use.
- Eye make remover – at night remove eye makeup using a suitable product and any remaining trace of lipstick. We recommend Dermalogica Soothing Eye Makeup Remover as it’s so hydrating around the eye area and great for tacking fine lines around the eyes. Plus you can use the same product on your lips. Remember not to drag the delicate skin under your eyes.
- Cleanse – if you use Dermalogica PreCleanse use this first and then your prescribed cleanser for an extra deep cleanse especially if you experience oiliness or if you are prone to breakouts. Don’t forget to cleanse down your neck and across your décolleté (the all too often forgotten zone). Never use wipes as they just smear the dirt and grime around your face without removing it all and let’s face it you can’t have a product that removes dirt and grime yet adds moisturiser and toner to your skin … if you think about it that’s just not logical! Another no go is soap (especially pump soap with antibacterial) … it’s so drying on facial skin.
- Exfoliate (AM or PM but make sure you use SPF if you exfoliate in the morning).
- Tone – spritz your skin with a product such as Multi Active Toner to hydrate your skin.
- Masque – use a masque no more than 1-2 times a week.
- Serum or Boosters – apply targeted treatments before you moisturise.
- Moisturise – Apply your prescribed moisturiser making sure you cover your neck and décolleté.
- Eye Cream/Serum – using a rice grain of product, press your ring fingers together so you have the product on both your fingers and dot lightly underneath your eyes and just under your brow bone. Gently circulate your ring fingers towards your nose and under your brow bone 3 times. Never apply to the lids as they are naturally moisturising.
- SPF – during the day apply a suitable SPF for all year round protection to your skin to protect from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Even in the winter we recommend a minimal SPF 30 and remember that the SPF in your makeup isn’t necessarily what it says on the bottle. SPFs can be layered, so even if your make up has a SPF in it, you should use a SPF in your moisturiser or apply a separate SPF. Dermalogica Solar Defense Booster SPF 50 is great to wear on its own or add it to your chosen moisturiser.
- Hydrate through the day – the summer months, central heating and air conditioning can be very dehydrating on skin so spritz your chosen toner throughout the day if you need to, avoid caffeine and remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day.
Time Saving Tips
- Cleanse and exfoliate together if you’re short of time. We love Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel and Daily Microfoliant. Alternatively, skip the exfoliating product and use a face cloth or a facial brush with your cleanser
- If you like the feel of soap and water use foaming skin care products such as Dermalogica Special Cleansing Gel. Use in the shower to save time if you need to save time. For sensitive skin use a creamy consistency gel such as Dermalogica Ultra Calming Cleanser. With its dreamy gel consistency and soothing lavender it calms and soothes even the most sensitive of skins.
If you would like help and advice with skincare concerns or would like to try the skin care products for yourself we offer a complimentary skincare advice service and Dermalogica Skinbar. Call the salon on 023 92380692 or email email@example.com