All you need to know about Pedicures
by Lisa Young – Salon Director
Whatever the season, if your feet are out on public display in flip flops, sandals or strappy heels, you’ll want to have great looking cared for feet … and gents, that includes you too !! (Well maybe not the strappy heels !).
But whether you are male or female and you’re at :
- A Gym or swimming pool.
- A Health club Jacuzzi or sauna.
- On holiday.
- In summer sandals or flip flops.
- At Christmas parties.
- At a Wedding or social event.
STOP and have a good look at your feet.
Do those toes look cute ? Are your feet looking soft, pampered and cared for ? Do they need a little love and attention before you put them out on public display ?
If so … then why not try a pedicure ?
What exactly is a Pedicure ?
A pedicure is a relaxing and therapeutic foot treatment. Pedicure techniques and treatments can vary depending on which salon you go to but generally the treatment normally involves:
- Removal of hard dead skin.
- Foot exfoliation.
- A mask and skin hydration.
- Perfect shaping of the toenails.
- A nourishing & protecting nail treatment.
- A relaxing massage.
- Optionally finished with normal or gel nail polish for the ladies.
What is a pedicure good for ?
A good foot treatment is heaven, feet are softened and nourished and it’s a great way to prevent the build-up of painful hard skin, which can lead to callouses and cracked heels.
If you stand on your feet a lot, a pedicure is an especially great way to ensure you look after your feet !
- Pedicures are a great way to relax on their own or combined with other treatments. It feels like you are walking on air after your pedicurist has massaged softening creams into your feet.
- Helps your posture-cared-for feet means that you walk better and more naturally and therefore preventing over compensation and build-up of hard skin in specific areas.
- If you suffer from foot problems – A regular pedicure can support your chiropody appointments and may prevent you from needing further treatment.
What is typical pedicure treatment ?
A pedicure will usually last between 30 and 75 minutes depending on the type of pedicure you have.
- A pedicure normally begins with a spritz of foot sanitiser followed by hard skin removal. Your therapist will then neaten and remove your cuticles before cutting and shaping your nails prior to a warm soak in aromatherapy infused water to hydrate and soften your feet. Some salons use spa tubs (similar to a Jacuzzi for the feet).
- The next step is an exfoliating mineral or salt scrub to slough off dead skin. This is to ensure that the skin is prepared for any softening and nourishing creams which are massaged into your feet to refresh and soften your skin. Depending on what type of pedicure you are having the pedicurist will either massage your feet and ankles or your feet and lower legs using acupressure or reflexology based foot massage techniques to help relax you.
- Finally, most ladies prefer an application of high quality spa polish or gel polish to complete the pedicure. It’s not compulsory and the pedicure can easily be completed leaving the nail bare or with a nourishing matt treatment to give the nails strength and prevent brittleness and breaking of the nails.
Pedicures can vary from salon to salon. Some salons, such as Studio 8 Beauty, like to vary the pedicure treatment by including other techniques such as:
- Hot stones.
- Heated booties.
- Mud or aromatherapy foot masks.
- Exciting pedicure products such as exotic coconut and lime or chocolate and orange.
The great thing however about pedicures is that they are suitable for both male and female clients. So gents why not try our executive foot care service.
Popular pedicure finishes
Get a natural finish to nails with “French polish” – this is a nail technician classic finish using either high quality professional nail polish or gel polish. The nails are treated to a natural nude look polish and the nail tips are then whitened.
French polish with a Twist
A modern twist to the traditional French polish finish is that the technique lends itself to any combination of colour and finishes. So you could have matt nail and high shine tips or even contrasting colours such as nude nail and glitter tips … anything goes and the only limit is yours or your pedicurists imagination !
Wait no more with instantly dry gel polish. This little gem has hit the industry by storm and at Studio 8 Beauty, probably 98% of manicures and pedicures are finished with gel polish !
Gel polish is either a clear or coloured gel that is bonded to your nails with LED light for a long-lasting glossy finish. It dries completely (or cures as it is called) in 20 – 30 seconds per coat which means no waiting, no smudging and lasts 2-3 weeks chip free (and even longer on toe nails) !
In a hurry or don’t need a full pedicure ? Then why not have a File & Polish pedicure. It’s a great way to maintain the length of your nails and even get a splash of colour to brighten your toes. Remember though, you won’t get all the hard skin removal and nourishment with an express pedicure.
Deluxe Pedicures / Luxury Pedicures
A full pedicure with an additional 15 minutes of either heated booties, towels or a wrap that warms and soothes your feet as well as softening and hydrating. Sheer luxury !
Pedicure hints & tips !
- Choose a salon that comes recommended with high standards of hygiene & qualified therapists.
- If you have any foot or nail infections, get these treated first. Your nail technician will not be able to do your pedicure if there is evidence of an infection to avoid cross infection or making it worse.
- Even professional nail polish can take up to 12 hours to be completely dry, so remember your flip flops or open toed shoes to prevent smudging.
- Pedicure services and where they are carried out vary from salon to salon. Some use a standard chairs or even a treatment couch, whilst others have luxury pedicure stations. So before you book, ask where the pedicure treatments are carried out as you’ll want to be comfortable and enjoy your pedicure as much as possible. At Studio 8 Beauty we have a fantastic bespoke pedi spa area. Why not take a peek.
- Most of all, remember that a good pedicure will get your feet looking and feeling fabulous and make you want to show off your perfect toes. So why not promise yourself to take care of your feet in future with regular pedicures ?
For pedicure services at Studio 8 Beauty please see our treatment menu.
Quote of the Day
“You can’t buy happiness but you can get a manicure or pedicure … and that’s kind of the same thing!”