Retinol – the power of vitamin A
by Lisa Young – Salon Director
There are so many advanced, high-tech ingredients appearing in skincare products today.
Skincare in turn is becoming increasingly more advanced and making all sorts of claims to wonderful things.
But are these claims really what they say they are ?
How can you believe the hype and what really are the most effective advanced ingredients in skincare ?
A notable example and possibly one of the best know ingredients for helping to fight the signs of ageing skin is pure Vitamin A. Vitamin A or retinol as it is commonly known is a wonderful ingredient when it comes to helping combat the signs of skin ageing. Who would have thought that a simple vitamin would be so effective ?
Well there is a noted amount of scientific research and collated data to support the claims. Data that shows retinol does work in helping to reverse the signs of both chronological ageing (natural ageing) as well as environmentally induced ageing (e.g. premature ageing).
KEY FACTS ABOUT RETINOL
- It is the strongest retinoid available without prescription.
- It is about 20% weaker than Retinoic Acid.
- It is slowly converted into Retinoic Acid by skin enzymes.
- It causes less skin irritation than Retinoic Acid.
Better still there is research that backs up the results !
Research published by a team from the University of Michigan led by Dr. Voorhees, outlines the benefits it has on the skin. Details of the research is obtainable from the Archives of Dermatology.
As part of the research, lotions containing retinol were used to demonstrate the effects of it on the skin. The results showed an improvement in the appearance of the skin tested. This was on skin that had previously wrinkled through the normal ageing process and not just through exposure to the sun.
Research was conducted on participants with and without retinol. The tests involved using a lotion containing retinol on one arm of an individual, whilst a lotion without it was applied to the other arm. The amount used in the lotion was a mere 0.4%.
The results of testing showed a significant reduction of wrinkles, roughness and overall ageing on the arm tested with the retinol based lotion in comparison to the other arm.
The study concluded that the results were due to an increased collagen production (that strengthens the skin) and a significant induction of glycosaminoglycans, which are known to retain large quantities of water keeping tissues well hydrated and supple.
Retinols and Dermalogica Skincare Products
As a clinical skincare company, Dermalogica is constantly researching new ingredients and developing products to use them in. They also research new ways to stabilise these ingredients in order to make them more effective. Dermalogica has now developed a way to microencapsulate retinol. This is a key feature in their latest, most powerful product yet, Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair.
Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair
What makes Overnight Retinol Repair different to other retinol products ?
- It is optimised for dramatic night time skin repair.
- The powerful treatment cream accelerates skin renewal and reduces the appearance of skin ageing overnight.
- It is unique, because it is customisable making it suitable for most clients.
- It Contains highly-active 0.5% Microencapsulated Retinol.
- Overnight Retinol Repair also contains:
- Powerful peptides to help boost collagen production and firm the skin.
- Liquorice and lavender to soothe the skin.
Primary benefits of Overnight Retinol Repair
- Stimulates cell renewal for brightness and even tone.
- Reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Stimulates collagen for firmer skin.
- Hydrates and prevents water loss.
Why microencapsulated retinol?
The challenge in formulating skin care products using retinol is that it is not photostable and degrades in the presence of oxygen and light.
In order to maintain product effectiveness and to prevent deterioration, microencapsulation is an effective delivery system that protects its stability.
This also allows Dermalogica to place it in a water-soluble formula, which gives enhanced absorption. The results are equivalent or superior to higher strength products that don’t use encapsulation technology, and with less irritation.
Top 7 tips to get the most from your retinol
- Always use these products at night. This ensures that the product is not degraded when exposed to sunlight. It will also coordinate with the body’s natural night-time circadian rhythm when cell repair is at its most effective.
- Follow your usual night time cleansing. Always apply your product direct to clean skin.
- Never put Overnight Retinol Repair close to the eyes. Use a specific retinol based eye cream such as Dermalogica Age Reversal Eye Complex.
- Retinol is an exfoliation product. You should not exfoliate when using these products as you will over sensitise the skin.
- As we age, retinoid receptors decline in the skin. By applying gradually, you can build up the receptors. So when using it, mix with a buffer cream and gradually increase the dosage. This ensures that you get less sensitivity as you progress your treatment. Applying too much retinoid too quickly risks a dermatitis response that will leave skin very irritated.
- Not everyone can tolerate pure retinol. Some people will find that they always need to use a buffer to dilute it or will need to use the product on alternative days.
- In the same way that you would do if exfoliating your skin, always use a minimum SPF30 every day.
If you would like to know more about Dermalogica Overnight Retinol Repair and how it can fit into your skin care routine, please contact Studio 8 Beauty to book a FREE consultation with a Dermalogica Skin care Expert on 023 92 380 692.
Quote of the Day
“ You don’t stop laughing when you grow old. You grow old when you stop laughing !! ”
George Bernard Shaw